The Scottish Government have released the latest reconviction statistics, covering the 2015-2016 offender cohort.
- The reconviction rate is currently 27%, this is a decrease from 28.3% in 2014-2015
- Reconvictions have decreased in the past decade, there has been a 22% decrease in the average number of reconvictions per offender since 2006-07
- In 2015-16, 1 in 4 (27%) offenders were reconvicted within a year
- Men (28%) are reconvicted more than women (22%)
- Of the 41,612 offenders convicted in 2016-17: 65% had at least one previous conviction in the past 10 years and 13% had over 10 previous convictions in the past 10 years